Thanks for the Warning!

My wife and I celebrated our 11th anniversary tonight by going to see a movie and then to eat dinner. On the way from the theater to the restaurant, we drove by our old church building. When our former church merged with another church, we sold the building we were in at the time to Parkside Baptist Church, a fundamentalist Baptist church. I read their marquee sign by the road with amusement. It said:

Old Fashioned Services
King James Bible
Hymn in Every Pew

My wife and I both looked at each other and said the same thing:"Thanks for the Warning!"

I fully expect to see "Turn or burn" on their marquee next week. Oh wait! My mistake! It will more likely say, "Turneth or Thou Shalt Burneth"

I am thinking, at least in my opinion, that it would have better to raze the buildings and sell the land to some secular company to develop than having sold it to these folks. Legalists do more damage to Christ's cause than anyone or anything else with the possible exception of apathy... maybe. Actually, it would be better if these folks were apathetic.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Congrats again to you and your bride...

I know how I feel when I see marques like that - but I wonder what un-churched folks "see" when they read it.

The "fun" thing is that you and I both know people that went to Parkside before they bought the Gross Road location, and went to the church that was at Gross Road before Parkside!

Plus, thanks for posting your artwork.

- mike
Anonymous said…
yeah - that's really the unmentioned part of my posting - I know from what those folks we know have said about that church and all the legalism and nonsense they require of their members - so of course, that colors my view of that church anyways. I really think most unchurched folks who see that sign react either with rolled eyes, non-comprhension as to what it means (you were right in your email about question if any non-church person would even know what KJV means), or just outright laughter.
Tim Dahl said…
Dude, nice art work!

Did you do all those? If so, you have some great talent.

Tim Dahl
Alan Paul said…
Yes, I did do all of those. They are Photoshop paintings. Thanks for visiting my blog.
Alan Paul said…
Tim-

A disclaimer: The 3 paintings entitled:

Does Anything Work?
Christ Overcomes?
Christ Overcomes?

These paintings all have a mixture of my own artwork and some public-domain photos/art that have been distorted and run through filters. I tend to focus on the design of a piece more than taking the time to illustrate everything. It's more about the message than it is about the technique.

Anyways, I thought I would add that so I wasn't taking credit for something I didn't do.
Tim Dahl said…
I don't think I have a creative bone in my body. So, any thing you can do... That's just pretty neat.

Tim

Popular posts from this blog

Jason Castro Sings "Clumsy"

The Use of Influence